Health & Human Services
M-F | 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
204 1st St NW, Aitkin, MN
218-927-7200 | 800-328-3744
Sarah Pratt / HHS Director

Cash Assistance & Child Care Needs

MN Benefits Online Service:

MN Benefits is Minnesota's secure, online system you can use to apply for cash assistance, food assistance (SNAP), emergency assistance. housing supports, and child care assistance.

To get started. visit MN Benefits to use an online prescreening tool to find out if you might qualify for benefits and to register for a user ID and password. If you already have a user ID and password. you can login to MN Benefits directly. You can also download the Application here.

Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) – This is a subsidized assistance program to help pay for child care services. Child Care Assistance is for people who are active in an approved activity such as employment, seeking employment and some educational plans.

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) – This program provides services and support for low-income families who have a child(ren) under age 19 and pregnant women. This is a combined Cash Assistance and Food Program.

Diversionary Work Program (DWP) – This is a four-month program that provides service and support to eligible families to help them move immediately to work.

General Assistance (GA) – This program is for adults without children, who have a serious illness, disability or other reason that limits their ability to work.

Housing Supports (formerly Group Residential Housing – GRH) – This program pays for room and board for seniors and adults with disabilities who have low income. The program aims to reduce and prevent people from living in institutions or becoming homeless.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) – This program provides some service and support for people whose disability, retirement, or other income is not enough based on the SSA Federal Benefit Rate. MSA is for people who are aged 65 or older, disabled, or blind and aged 18 or older.

Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) – This is a limited time monthly cash payment for certain refugees who have been in the USA for eight months or less.

Emergency Assistance & Emergency General Assistance (EA & EGA) – These programs offer one-time assistance for people who meet income eligibility guidelines who may be experiencing a financial crisis.

page last modified on October 09, 2023