M-F | 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
307 2nd St NW, Rm. 119, Aitkin, MN
Lori Grams / County Treasurer

Property Tax FAQs

When will I receive my tax statement?

You will receive your tax statement once a year. By law, all tax statements must be mailed by March 31. Mobile Home tax statements must be mailed by July 15. We do not mail second half statements. Taxpayers are responsible for the payment of their property taxes and this is not affected by a failure of the county to provide a statement for a parcel.

Why did I receive a tax statement if I escrow my taxes?

Tax Statements are mailed to the property owners. Your escrow company also receives your tax information from our office. You may need your tax statement for tax filing purposes and property tax refunds if applicable.

What if I purchase my property after the Tax Statement has been mailed?

If you purchase property after the Tax Statements have been mailed, the Treasurer's office will mail a copy to you. If you do not receive the Tax Statement, please contact the Treasurer's office. It will be the taxpayer's responsibility to make sure they receive a copy of the tax statement.

I just bought property, who pays the taxes?

In a typical real estate transaction, taxes are prorated and the buyer is given credit for the seller portion. Please check your closing statement or contact the realtor or attorney who handled the transaction for you. Any delinquent taxes must be paid at closing, but the current taxes do not have to be. To avoid any penalty, the taxes must be paid May 15th and October 15th (or November 15 for agriculture). Please contact the Treasurer's office for status of the taxes.

If I misplace my Tax Statement, can I get another copy?

Yes, a copy of your tax statement can be obtained from the Treasurer's office.

How do I change my address on my statement?

There is a place on the back of your payment stub for your new address, fill in the new information when you make your next payment.
-- or --
You can call our office at 218-927-7325
-- or --
Mail your new address to:
Aitkin County Treasurer
307 2nd St NW Rm 119
Aitkin MN 56431

When are my Property Taxes due?

Your tax statement indicates when your payments are due, or see the payment schedule on this site. (Click here for the schedule).  Your mailed payment must be postmarked by the due date or a penalty will apply.

Do you accept postmark date?

Yes. Your mailed tax payment must be postmarked by the due date for it to be considered paid on time.

What happens if I pay my Property Taxes late?

By State Law, the Treasurer's office is required to charge a late fee.  Please call the Treasurer's office at 218-927-7325 for the amount due.  If you would like to see the chart that is used to calculate the amount of your late payment fee, click here.  If you are paying delinquent taxes and would like to know the penalty for the delinquent taxes.  We encourage you to call our office for the correct amount due.

Will I receive a reminder if I don't pay my taxes by the due date?

The Treasurer's office sends out courtesy letters when taxes are not paid for the current year. The letters are sent in June and December to all properties where the tax has not been paid, and includes the amount of penalty as calculated according to the penalty schedule.

Will my name appear in the paper if I don't pay my property taxes? If so, when?

Any property taxes not paid before January 1 are considered delinquent. Delinquent notices are sent out by the Treasurer's office, telling you of the last day to pay in order to avoid printing costs along with the amount due. The Delinquent Tax list is printed in the newspaper in March each year.

Am I eligible for a Property Tax refund?

To determine if you are eligible for the Property Tax Refund, you must complete form M1PR. The M1Pr form is available in the Treasurer's office or you may call the State of Minnesota at 651-296-4444. You can also download the form and other tax-related information from Minnesota State Property Tax Refund Information On-Line.

What is the Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral Program?

The Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral Program is not a tax forgiveness program - it is a low interest loan from the state.  The Senior Citizens Property Tax Deferral program allows people 65 years of age or older, whose household incomes are $ 60,000 or less, to defer a portion of their property tax on their home.  The deferred tax is paid by the state to your county.  Interest will be charged on this loan.  The Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral Program was established to help senior citizens who were having difficulty paying their property taxes.  For more information on the Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral Program, please click here.

What do I need to do before I move my Mobile Home?

You need a Mobile Home Clearance Sheet from the Treasurer's office. It states that all delinquent and current taxes are paid in full. Any taxes not paid will need to be paid before the mobile home can be moved. Contact the Treasurer's office for more information.

What has to be done when I sell my Mobile Home?

Property taxes on any mobile home need to be paid before the title can be transferred. If your mobile home still has a title, you are responsible for transferring it. You may still be liable for the property taxes if the title isn't transferred.

The Minnesota Department of Revenue has information regarding property taxes available at: 

page last modified on November 09, 2023