County offices will be closed on Monday, May 27th 2024 in observance of Memorial Day

Environmental Services

M-F | 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
307 2nd St NW, Rm. 219, Aitkin, MN
Andrew Carlstrom / Environmental Services Director

Vacation Rentals

Aitkin County regulates Vacation/Short-Term Rentals. An Interim Use Permit (IUP) is required in Aitkin County for rental stays of 30 days or less.

Aitkin County defines a "Vacation/Short-Term Rental" as a single family dwelling and/or related structure that is rented out on a transient basis for a charge. A transient basis shall be any period of time less than thirty (30) consecutive days. (Section 3.82 of the Aitkin County Zoning Ordinance)

House on a lake, as a vacation rental

An Interim Use Permit (IUP) for a Vacation/Short-Term Rental is approved for 3 year time periods. During this time period, annual inspections are conducted to ensure compliance. After 3 years, the IUP will expire and the applicant will need to renew. The Aitkin County Planning Commission approves or denies IUP’s, and may place a shorter time period on the IUP. It is a requirement that the applicant or a representative attend the Planning Commission meeting where their proposal will be heard.

Permit Fees for Vacation/Short-Term Rentals

  • Interim Use Permit: $696.00 ($650 IUP Fee, $46 Recording Fee)
  • * Please note that this is a non-refundable application fee!
  • Annual Inspection Fee: $100 (Required annually after IUP approval)
  • Annual Bedroom Fee: $100 per bedroom (Required annually on years following IUP approval)
vacation rental permitting timeline

If the Vacation/Short-Term Rental will be rented for time periods of less than one week, a Lodging License will be required through the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH). The IUP will need to be approved before a MDH lodging license can be obtained.

page last modified on April 29, 2024