License Center
M-F | 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
307 2nd St NW, Rm. 108, Aitkin, MN
Kathleen Ryan / Supervisor

SCHEDULE ALL EXAMS AT (drive.mn.gov) ONLY! Follow instructions once on that website and select the exam station you would like. WE ARE NOT AN EXAM STATION AND CAN NOT SCHEDULE ANY DRIVING TESTS/KNOWLEDGE TESTS/MOTORCYCLE TEST ETC. PHONE CALLS FOR THIS CAN NOT BE ANSWERED. There is a drop box inside the main doors of the Government Center where Motor Vehicle tab renewals and DNR renewals can be dropped off Monday-Friday from 8am to 4:30pm. Also available is a new drop box now located outside by our west entrance of the Government Center that can be used at any time for Motor Vehicle and DNR renewals.


Where exactly are you located?

We are located in the new Government Center Building on the west side of the courthouse. Entrance is on the Northwest corner of the building by the parking lot.

Where do I schedule my son’s driving test?

You can schedule it online here. We DO NOT schedule for exams at our office. Please DO NOT call. The only option is to schedule online.

Are you open on Saturdays?

We are not open Saturdays or Sundays

Do I need a REAL ID?

Beginning in October, 2018, you’ll be able to apply for a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or identification card, but you don’t need to rush out and get one right away. You’ll have two years to obtain one, if you choose, depending on your travel needs.

Minnesotans will be able to use their standard driver’s licenses and ID cards for federal purposes, including boarding domestic flights, until May 7, 2025.

Because you don’t need to take any action to comply with federal REAL ID law at this time, state officials suggest you wait to apply unless you need to change your name or address, or renew your current license. REAL ID’S will not have a radio chip in them and cannot be used to cross the border from Mexico and Canada.

There is no additional charge for REAL ID compliant driver’s licenses and ID’s but additional documentation will be required. Proof of citizenship and 2 documents showing proof of residency, such as a recent utility bill or bank statement will be needed. The additional documentation required by federal law ensures the new licenses and ID cards meet minimum federal security standards established by Congress in 2005 under the REAL ID act.

Do I need an Enhanced Drivers License?

The enhanced drivers license is REAL ID compliant and can be used to board domestic flights as well as travel by land or sea between Mexico and Canada. The enhanced drivers license has a chip like a passport does so it can be read via radio frequency as you cross the border. They can also be used to enter federal institutions and military bases. In the event of a family or medical emergency while you are traveling out of the United States, the EDL will not be compliant to fly back INTO the United States. Flying across borders into a foreign country or from a foreign country back into the United States requires a valid Passport. There is an additional $15 charge for EDLs. Documentation showing proof of date of birth, full legal name, social security number, photographic identity, proof of citizenship, and proof of Minnesota residency will be required to apply for an EDL.

For customers not needing the extra travel documentation, the standard driver’s license and ID will still be available.

How much does it cost to transfer a vehicle?

There are many variables that can affect the cost of a title transfer such as the amount paid for the vehicle/sales tax amount, if the registration needs to be renewed, if the title was transferred within 10 days, or if the vehicle was gifted. The cost to transfer a title generally starts at $31.75.

Do I have to renew the registration when transferring a title?

Yes. If the registration has expired then it will need to be renewed at the time of transfer.

I just bought a car from a private party that didn’t renew the tabs this year. If the next registration year would start in 2 months, can I pay just for the 2 months for this year or do I have to pay for the whole year?

Once a vehicle is registered in Minnesota it will always have the same expiration month. If you purchase a vehicle from someone that did not renew the tabs then you will need to pay for the entire registration year that you are in even if there’s only a month or a week left in it. Only vehicles purchased from dealers can be pro-rated.

Can US Social Security cards be laminated to preserve them?

From Chris Smith, former Operations Supervisor at Social Security (1973-2011)

Do not laminate your SSN card. Ever. It obscures anti-counterfeiting features of the card, making it difficult, if not impossible, to determine its authenticity. If someone presented a laminated card, we would immediately shred it and request a replacement card for them (after explaining why, so they didn’t think I presumed they were a criminal). The cards may look flimsy, but they have very high tech anti-counterfeit features imbedded. If you are worried about getting it all dog eared or torn, put it in a plastic sleeve, such as the type used for a work badge. Better yet, to avoid ID theft, don’t carry it with you unless you are going somewhere where you will need to show it. This includes all social security cards even old ones.

How can I find out how much I paid last year for registration for my taxes?

Your last year’s registration might still be kept in your vehicle or you can look it up here.

Where can I find the status of my driver’s license or state id?


Where can I report the sale of a vehicle?

You can either bring the bottom tear off section of the title into our office and we’ll report it for you or you can do it yourself here.

page last modified on October 09, 2023