Hours of Operation
Court House

M-F 8 am-4:30 pm
Closed Holidays
Sheriff's Office
Open 24 hours
West Door

Crime Victim's Financial Remedies


Restitution is money a defendant pays to a crime victim for the victim’s actual out-of-pocket costs or losses. Restitution may be ordered in both adult and juvenile delinquency cases at the sentencing (adult) or disposition (juvenile) hearings. It is also required of defendants who participate in diversion programs.

In order to receive restitution, victims must make a written request to the court which includes a descriptive list of your losses, dollar value for repair or replacement, and receipts or reasons justifying the amounts. This request must be made on the Affidavit of Restitution provided to you.

You may ask for restitution for expenses that are a direct result of the crime. Such expenses include, but are not limited to, medical bills, mental health care, transportation, lost wages, and the repair or replacement of stolen or damaged property. Copies of any bills, receipts, invoices, and insurance claim forms or other proof of your loss should be attached to the form and will expedite the restitution determination. Do not include original receipts and make copies for yourself.

Oftentimes, restitution is determined by probation. They will contact you about your claim and will advise you by letter of the amount of restitution determined.

The defendant will not pay you directly. All payments will be made to the Court Administrator’s Office and checks will be issued to you as they are received from the defendant.


The Crime Victims Reparations unit compensates victims for losses sustained due to violent crime in Minnesota.

Crime Victim Services will assist eligible victims in completing the application to receive compensation from the State for certain types of crimes and expenses.

Victims with injuries may receive financial compensation from the Crime Victim Reparations Board for certain costs incurred as a result of the crime. Some of the expenses covered by Reparations include medical and dental costs, mental health care, lost wages, child care, and funeral expenses.

Reparations DOES NOT cover the replacement of damaged or lost property or expenses that could be covered by another source.

Claims must be filed within three (3) years of the injury except in cases involving child abuse and other very limited situations.

Back to Attorney's Home Page

Frequently Visited Links:

The Court Process

Victim Resources

Victim Rights

Victim Services

Victim Services Contacts