Aitkin County Highway Department
The Aitkin County Highway Department is dedicated to maintaining and
improving a safe and effective transportation system for its residents
The department is responsible for:
- Recommending changes in technical policies and operating
procedures as they relate to the design, construction, maintenance
and operation of County Roads, County State-Aid Highways and Bridges.
- Obtaining right-of-way in accordance to Minnesota state rules
- Performing preliminary and design engineering on over 510 miles
of roadway and 111 bridges and culverts.
- Overseeing the construction of federally, state, and county
- Assist townships and cities with material purchases and
maintenance of contracted roadways.
- Oversight of road usage including: issuance of permits for
utilities within the county's right-of-way, oversize loads, and
- Monitor road conditions for seasonal road restrictions.
- Provide technical assistance to townships, cities, and other
- Provide maintenance to roadways, bridges, and ditches throughout